Friday, February 6, 2009

Reality TV and the "Culture of Mean"

If one looks at the majority of reality TV programming-- it would seem that "mean," "nasty," "obnoxious" sells. Apparently, the viewing public loves to watch people that they "hate." I wonder why this is-- has some PhD in Sociology or Psychology done a study/thesis about this phenomenon? When did this start?
Some possible candidates responsible for the popularity of meanness in reality TV story production:
Omorosa-- meant big ratings for The Apprentice-- people even loved seeing Donald Trump saying "You're fired!"
Puck on The Real Word -- big ratings for acting like a borderline nutcase
Richard Hatch-- season 1 Survivor winner--fat, naked, lazy, lying and manipulating man won the million

Simon Cowell-- 'nuf said

The Jerry Springer Show -- I cannot for the life of me understand why this show still is on the air

Don't even get me started on Bridezillas, My Super Sweet 16 and similar shows that glorify bratty behavior and conspicuous consumption--they make me want to send my first through the TV (and no, I don't watch these shows anymore--not good for my BP).

Some viewers have said that that they enjoy such programs because they are "real"--showing human behavior "warts and all." Well, the REAL real world has enough "realness" for me. It's out there for all to see and experience--don't need to watch a TV show for "realness." TV is an excellent medium for sharing information, educating, entertaining, discussion, debate, etc.--I'm not trashing the whole television industry.

It has been said that we are a nation of voyeurs--but why do we apparently like to watch the negative aspects of human nature so much? Does it make us feel better about our own shortcomings? Does watching others behave badly somehow justify our own bad behavior?

Is it Schadenfreude?--enjoyment over the foibles/misery/troubles of others?

I don't know--I wish someone would enlighten me.

No comments: