Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cock-eyed optimist

My goal in life is to be a cock-eyed optimist. No, I'm not really that happy-go-lucky. To people that don't know me, I may seem a little flaky, but inside its a different story (isn't it usually?). What I have come to learn in this life is that EVERYONE has problems, some serious, some not so much. On this planet of billions of people, there always will be someone who has it better than you, or worse than you. I've had my share of dark days, but if you wallow in it, you'll never overcome it. I fight pessimism and negativity within myself every day. However, I love to laugh--I love comedy--if it's funny, it's funny--it can be silly, inane, off-color, relevant observational--I don't care. Sometimes others think that because I laugh and have a sense of humor, I must be happy-- or stupid-- or that I must be weak-minded, easily amused. It's not so simple as that. I believe in the old saying that "laughter is the best medicine." When given a choice, would you rather laugh or cry? I do both, but I'd rather laugh.

No comments: