Sunday, December 28, 2008

Why the Gosselins Bug Me Part 2

I had always wondered where the grandparents were on the show. I thought maybe they didn't want to be filmed, but that they were still part of their lives. Sooo, I did some looking around the internet. Boy, was I surprised to read the various stories about why no grandparents are on the show OR apparently involved in their everyday lives. Then I read about the studio lighting installed in the house. And then Kate saying "we never really had a break" from filming (3 days a week, year round?)--well, that got to me also. What kind of lives were these children leading? Why were the cameras allowed to film them on the potty, being bathed, getting dressed?
My inside gut said "This is just wrong. Not right. End of story." If you don't see anything wrong with it, then please, stop reading. My main discomfort/disgust with the show is the amount of episodes being filmed (WAAYY too many--although zero would be fine with me) and the situations and parental commentary filmed for millions of viewers to see in perpetuity.
The end (material wealth) does NOT justify the means, IMO.
Many people have in the present and have had in the past large families. They do/did not need reality TV shows to survive and thrive.
The Gosselins have been the recipients of many donations of time, labor, money, and goods before they even had a TV show. I do not begrudge them the help they recieved when the tups were born. The Commonwealth of PA even created a job just for Jon Gosselin. Kate could have gone back part-time as a nurse when the tups began nursery school. They already had a respectable house in a nice little neighborhood. They never were really poor -- not homeless, not starving. IMO, they did not "need" to do a reality show as their only means of survival. They were a nice, middle-class family with multiples.
But the TV show has changed all that. The wealth and "celebrity" have changed them--and not for the better.

No comments: